Sunday, April 8, 2012

Scrambled Eggs for Cyclists [Zack]

I love cycling- it's always a tough challenge.  I get to see way more scenery than when I go running, it makes me feel great, and it's a very "Belgian" thing to do.  I recently joined a riding group in Brussels named GS Fartlek.  They are a great bunch of guys who ride at a strong pace.  We typically stop at back-country bars or cafes for mid-ride hot chocolate breaks.  Clearly, I'm getting my culture by the bucketful.

The only problem is- I hate eating right when I wake up.  My body doesn't want anything to do with food for the first hour.  The absolute worst thing to eat in the morning is oatmeal because it feels like someone is force-feeding me cement.  However, if I go out for a long ride on an empty stomach, I'm sure to bonk (run out of energy and get left behind).

This recipe is my solution to the early morning breakfast blues.  It takes no skill at all to make (which is a huge bonus because who wants to think at 7am on a Sunday morning?).  All you have to do is compile whatever omelet ingredients you want into a jar, then shake to scramble.

To round out the breakfast, I eat the scrambled eggs with something else hardy- like a few pieces of whole-grain toast smeared with peanut butter and honey.


Process:

Grab a jar with a tight-fitting lid.  Crack 2-3 eggs into it (depending on how much you can force yourself to eat in the morning).  Dice whichever veggies or herbs you want in there. I chose roasted red peppers, red onion, ½ clove garlic, and cilantro.  I also added 1/3 cup of shredded motz cheese.  Close the lid tightly, and give it a good shake. 

 
Keep the pre-mixed jar in a very visible place in the fridge overnight so you can find it with your blurry morning eyes.  Simply dump the contents straight into a pan in the morning.  


Cook until the eggs are set and you are on your way!


Ingredients:

2 or 3 eggs
1T diced roasted red peppers
1/4 of a medium onion, diced
1/2  clove of garlic
1/3 cup mozzarella cheese (or cheddar, etc)
1t chopped cilantro

Song: R. Kelly - I Believe I Can Fly
(A little background: we stopped in a very authentic Flemish bar for a mid-ride coffee.  There were old men playing Flemish Bowling in an outdoor shed (basically shuffleboard), there were old farmers drinking tap beer at 10am, not one word of English was being spoken (except for me :)).  Everything was perfectly authentic.  And then R Kelly's ballad began playing on the radio and threw me for a loop.)

1 comment:

  1. This is great to read. I do a similar dish and enjoy it while training in Spain. Keep on pedalling!

    ReplyDelete