Friday, June 10, 2011

Grandma's la zuppa [Mike]



I remember going on vacations to my grandmother’s farmhouse in Johnstown, Rhode Island, almost every summer growing up. My fondest memory was waking up in the morning to the smell of fresh roasted coffee. I’d rush downstairs and there was my mom and grandmother sitting at the kitchen table chatting and sipping coffee. My grandmother would always ask me if I wanted some. I always said yes. She would make me a cup of what I called “coffee milk.” Half coffee and half milk with a tablespoon of sugar. Every once in awhile she’d take out a box of Ritz crackers and ask if I wanted la zuppa. Grandma knew it was one of my favorite meals growing up. She’d pour into a soup plate a couple dozen Ritz crackers, then pour the coffee milk over them. Next she’d sprinkle some more sugar on top of the Ritz. The salty flavor of the crackers, mixed with the sweet taste of sugar and coffee flavor, with both the soggy and crisp crackers... gotta stop, my mouth is watering.
• 1 stack of Ritz crackers
• 1/2 cup each of coffee and milk
• 1 tablespoon of sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment